Fighting Lung Cancer | News
BLASDELL, NY - The family of Sue Sullivan has quite a legacy to continue.
Sullivan was in a fender bender when she had an MRI done to see what might be causing some neck trouble.
Doctors found something much more serious, a tumor on her lung.
After the diagnosis, the Sullivan family learned more from Roswell about what they were up against.
Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in the United States, but the funding to fight it is much less.
That's partially due to the stigma that lung cancer is a smoker's disease, but 1 in 5 women and 1 in 10 men diagnosed have never smoked.
Sue Sullivan had smoked socially in her 20's and quit more than 28 years before she was diagnosed.
Sullivan rallied those around her to raise money and awareness about this disease. The Sullivan family raised over $100,000 in the 2-1/2 years she lived with the lung cancer.
A benefit planned for a week after she died went on, and her family plans to continue it for years to come.
Upcoming Events near Hamburg
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Whirlpool-Rapids Bridge Inspection Lane Construction to Result in Canada-Bound Traffic Closure
- Buffalo River Fest Park Hosts 3rd Annual “Wardstock”
- New Tifft Street Pier and Boardwalk opens to public
- World-renowned AIDS researcher among victims of downed Malaysian flight
- Fire damages homes in South Buffalo