High Winds Cause Damage and Power Outages | News
BUFFALO, NY-- The high wind gusts of the past several hours left many without power and damage throughout WNY.
WEB EXTRA: Check out a photo gallery of pictures from the snow storm.
In fact, the winds were so high that they caused damage to the roof of Southtowns Catholic School in Lakeview, forcing school officials to cancel classes for the rest of the week.
In the Town of Alden, winds also knocked over a gas pump at the Sunoco gas Station at the corner of Walden Avenue and Genesee Street.
Both National Grid and NYSEG (New York State Electric & Gas) have resources on the web to help you find out when your power will be back on if it goes out.
A strong cold front crossed all of WNY Tuesday evening bringing damaging winds and colder temperatures. Winds will contiunue to subside this morning and afternoon from the northwest at 10-20mph.
Lake effect snow developed over the deeper southtowns and S. Tier producing a few inches of accumulation overnight. Lake snow will continue in the southowns this morning with additional accumulations of 1-3" while narrow bands of snow will cross portions of Niagara, Orleans and Genesee counties producing 1-2" of accumulation before subsiding later this afternoon.
Upcoming Events near Hamburg
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Lucky Player from Eden, N.Y. Wins $844,437 on Penny Machine at Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino
- Catholic Charities of Buffalo Appoints Two Directors
- Shark Girl Sculpture Unveiled at Canalside
- Explore Buffalo Lists September Events; Special Tours will Focus on Art
- Tomorrow’s Youth Today Receives $610,000 Grant from Buffalo, Erie County Workforce Investment Board
- South Buffalo Alive to Host Bricks in the Bowl Celebration
- South Buffalo Charter School Unveils New $21 Million Building
- Buffalo Firefighters Battle Orlando Street Fire
- First Ward Neighbors Volunteer Time, Effort to Create Mural
- A Girl Scout troop spent their Saturday helping one woman turn her former bookstore into a bedroom.