Hilbert’s Kenya Krew Collection Underway for Village Schoolchildren | Events
HAMBURG, N.Y. -- A school outside Nairobi for girls who have lost their parents to AIDS and a school in Kaloleni, one of the poorest areas in Kenya, will receive much-needed assistance from Hilbert College’s Kenya Krew traveling to the African country in May.
During the nearly three-week international service learning trip, the student and faculty group will be involved in several hands-on community projects to benefit village residents, as well as distribute donated items to students at the Kenya schools they will be visiting. In preparation for this effort, a variety of school supplies and personal items for girls are being collected, including gently used spring/summer clothing, gently used Hilbert apparel, sports jerseys, coloring books and crayons, pens and pencils, pencil sharpeners, erasers, nail polish, earrings, lip balm, and flip flops.
Items for donation may be placed throughout April in collection boxes located around Hilbert’s campus. Monetary donations will gratefully be accepted at the office of Amy Smith, Ph.D., chairperson of the Arts & Sciences Division, at 161 Paczesny Hall.
Donations may also be dropped off at a spaghetti dinner and basket raffle being hosted by Hilbert’s Kenya Krew from 4:30-7 p.m. April 11 in the Campus Center Dining Hall. Dinners will be available for $9 per person. Proceeds from the dinner will support the service learning trip.
Upcoming Events near Hamburg
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Buffalo Business Leaders Organize Chippewa Alliance
- Construction Continues on Riverworks Project
- Grisanti Names Kelly Carrigg 'Veteran Of The Month'
- Catholic Charities WIC to Host Breastfeeding Walk, Healthy Baby Festival Aug. 8 in Erie County
- Local public health efforts bolstered by use of health information exchange
- NYC-BASED VENTURE CAPITALIST AND BLOGGER FRED WILSON TO SPEAK AT LARKIN SQUARE ON AUG. 5
- Check Out The Erie County Fair Admission Discounts
- Whirlpool-Rapids Bridge Inspection Lane Construction to Result in Canada-Bound Traffic Closure
- Buffalo River Fest Park Hosts 3rd Annual “Wardstock”
- New Tifft Street Pier and Boardwalk opens to public