Legislator Dixon: Valentines for Veterans Program a Huge Success | Community Spirit
Erie County Legislator Lynne Dixon delivered handmade Valentine’s Day cards to veterans’ organizations throughout her district through the Valentines for Veterans program. Hundreds of cards were created by local students as a token of appreciation for the veterans’ dedication and service.
The Valentines for Veterans program, organized by Legislator Dixon and her colleagues in the Legislature’s Minority Caucus, is now in its second year and has generated thousands of valentines, thanks to the efforts of students from across Erie County.
“Through the Valentines for Veterans program I have visited many schools and talked with students about the importance of this program. I am always astounded by their compassion for our veterans and soldiers. Many shared stories with me about family members who serve our country and understand that honoring our veterans is very important. When I delivered the cards to veterans, I was told by many how great the cards were and they really appreciated being thought of,” Legislator Dixon said.
Legislator Dixon visited American Legion Post 721 in South Buffalo on the eve of Valentine’s Day to deliver cards to veterans who had gathered together. The veterans in attendance expressed their gratitude to the students as they read through the many cards that were created. Commander Pat Mulderig distributed the cards to members of the Post, commenting on the thoughtfulness of the students.
Schools that participated in the 2012 Valentines for Veterans program were:
- Our Lady of Victory
- Notre Dame Academy
- Hillery Park Elementary #27
- St Mary’s of the Lake School
- Big Tree Elementary
- Lorraine Academy
- Southside Elementary
- Olde Time Baptist Academy
Hundreds of cards were delivered to the following veteran organizations in time for Valentine’s Day:
- American Legion post No. 63
- VFW Post No. 1419
- American Legion Post No. 721
- American Legion Post No. 527
- Thomas Tehan Post No. 1449
- American Legion Post David Mckeever No. 64
- American Legion Matthew Glab Post No. 1477
For additional information about the Valentines for Veterans program or to reach Legislator Dixon, please call 858-8671 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Events near Hamburg
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- South Buffalo Charter School Unveils New $21 Million Building
- Buffalo Firefighters Battle Orlando Street Fire
- First Ward Neighbors Volunteer Time, Effort to Create Mural
- A Girl Scout troop spent their Saturday helping one woman turn her former bookstore into a bedroom.
- DEC says Buffalo company 'creating significant dust'